Wednesday, February 18, 2009

#13 Henry James - Daisy Miller: A Study

Bila Lee
English 48B
February 19, 2009
Journal #13 Henry James

Quote
“At last he said, ‘She was the most beautiful young lady I ever saw, and the most amiable.’ And then he added in a moment, ‘And she was the most innocent.’” (James 428).

Summary
The above quote is extracted at the very ending of the story, “Daisy Miller: A Study.” It is indeed the final part because the protagonist, who is also the experimental subject in the study, dies because of malaria. The quote is taken from a conversation between two loving rivalries, Winterbourne and Giovanelli, during Daisy’s funeral landscape. It is not quite surprising for them to discuss their common friend, but the content in the conversation is extraordinary significant and it leaves a big question mark for the entire novel. Is Daisy a virgin when she dies? Does she fall for either Winterbourne or Giovanelli, or both? For all these flirting questions will never have a concrete and recognized answers – that’s why we spent a large amount of lesson time to discuss her purity and innocence – we really wish to know whether she is a virgin.

Responses
Above all, I have to say it is the most entertaining story in the course so far. It refreshes my memory back to my junior Literature class in high school, and recalls one of my favorite novels, “Rebecca” by Daphne du Maurier. Both novels depict some romantic love affair between charming gentlemen and attractive fair ladies – and the chief male characters named Maxim de Winter and Winterbourne respectively. The coincidence impresses me at first glance, and I am thinking if I should name me future son as “Winter” to inject some romantic and charming element into him.

I like the story mainly because the physical beauty and classical feminine instinct displayed by Daisy Miller. As illustrated in the section, “Daisy Miller,” in Wikipedia, it is exactly right to address the story as “confused courtship of the eponymous American girl” (Wikipedia). To a very small extent, I personally am also attracted to her based on the textual description and how she verbally seduces males, like she praises Giovanelli as “the handsomest man in the world – except Mr. Winterbourne!” (James 412) and “I don’t want you to come for your aunt, I want you to come for me” (James 408). Daisy Miller possesses two strong weapons: the inborn beauty and the acquired flirting techniques, in which it is incredibly easy for her to conquer the hearts of Winterbourne and Giovanelli. Hence, critics raise a question to challenge if Daisy is as innocent as what Winterbourne claims, “she’s very innocent” (James 415).

I think she is both innocent and intelligent in dealing with males. Though she likes to hang around with different males, I believe she does not mean any sexual purpose but only intend to verify her popularity. Yes, some of my female friends always play this trick, and sometimes I think they wish examine if any boys who love them would feel jealous. Thereby, I guess it may be simply an illusion for critics to doubt the purity and innocence of Daisy Miller – I bet it is only her feminine instinct to get so close with Giovanelli to examine Winterbourne, the one she really falls for.

1 comment:

  1. 20 points. I always feel like Chinese students "understand" Daisy quite well! You are, after all, (relatively) wealthy foreigners living abroad, and trying to rectify the sexual/cultural rules you were raised in with those you encounter here.

    As for critics' doubts concerning her innocence: what if innocence itself is more dangerous and destructive than evil?

    ReplyDelete