Thursday, March 5, 2009

#18 Kate Chopin - The Awakening (II)

Bila Lee
English 48B
March 6, 2009
Journal #18 The Awakening (II)

Quote:
“'Who gave it to you?’ she laughed.

‘I bought it. I suppose I’m getting reckless; I bought a whole box.’ She was determined not to be personal again and make her comfortable” (Chopin 618).

Summary:
The quote is excerpted from Chapter 37 of the novel, and it is chosen chiefly because it continues the Marxist criticism. It is an interesting conversation between Robert and Edna when they meet each other again, and Edna challenges how Robert gets the cigar. Our group finds that cigar plays a decisive role in the story that it symbolizes a higher class. For instance, in the first half of “The Awakening,” Robert once saves the cigar but not immediately smokes and it is interpreted that he rarely possesses a luxurious cigar; on the contrary, he has a big box of cigar when he returns from Mexico – even Edna does not believe his change in social class. Does Robert literally upgrade into a higher class person? What is the motivator for this change?

Responses:
To a certain extent, I believe Edna and Leonce are two rationales for the explicit change of Robert. As shown in our handout, “Mademoiselle Reisz draws out Edna’s deep appreciation for music and encourages her flirtation with Robert – who, suddenly and nervously, leaves for Mexico” (Toth 210). I attempt to connect his sudden and nervous departure to the Marxist question that Robert leaves because he is ashamed of his social class difference between Leonce Pontellier and him, and consequently Robert does not dare to express his love to Edna, hence he chooses to leave to Mexico. In fact, his change in attitude towards cigar somehow signifies his entering into an upper class because cigar is always considered as a luxury that only wealthy people have the privilege to consume it whereas others, like Robert in the first half, can only smoke cigarette. Alternatively, I also interpret his act as an attempt to resemble Leonce Pontellier, and to directly tell Edna his significant change after the trip to Mexico.

Basically, I would categorize Robert and Edna into the same group – both are young (especially when compared to the successful Leonce) and are ambitious to enter the upper class. In addition to the interesting cigar issue, Robert seems to have more self-confident in flirting with Edna in the second half of the story; likewise, Edna also puts efforts in upgrading herself: she watches horse-racing in the Jockey Club which is often regarded as a superior entertainment; she spends a lot of money on luxurious goods and building the pigeon house…apparently she succeeds, but she finally chooses to commit suicide because she is mentally not prepared to this artificial dual life.

It is always difficult to wear two separate masks to deal with different types of people. In fact, I share a similar experience here at Foothill College - most International students come from an affluent family whereas, honestly, I come from a middle-class one. Last year, I sometimes felt depressed when I was standing foolishly at the bus stop, watching others driving their cars; yet, I could neither ask my mum to buy one for me nor express my jealousy. This Marxist feeling is one of my motivators which encourage me to study harder, such that I could get a great university degree, a rewarding career and finally I am able to buy cars for my parents and myself!

1 comment:

  1. 20/20 The personal insight is really interesting to me, Bila. And of course I'm basically completely "blind" to the class/wealth distinctions among HK students, although I'm aware that some families are quite wealthy. And that others aren't! It would be nice if they at least offered you a ride in their fancy cars!!!

    ReplyDelete